Politech mailing list archives

FC: AP article on subpoena; roundup of journalist shield laws

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:45:33 -0800

[Since I was on a plane Friday, I won't be able to talk to our in-house lawyers until Monday. I'm overwhelmed by the support I've received in response to news of this subpoena, and I humbly thank folks for it. --Declan]

*******

   Wired News Reporter Subpoenaed
   Associated Press
   6:00 a.m. Mar. 9, 2001 PST

   CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- A reporter for Wired News has been subpoenaed to
   testify in the trial of a tax protester charged with stalking and
   threatening two federal agents.

   Declan McCullagh, who runs the online news service's Washington
   office, said Thursday he will likely fight the subpoena. He planned to
   speak with editors Friday.

   "I don't think a journalist should be testifying against a source,"
   McCullagh said. "I'm talking to folks to try to figure it out. I have
   not ruled out the possibility of jail time."

   He termed the subpoena an attempt to "intimidate reporters from
   serious investigations."

   McCullagh received the subpoena Thursday while covering the Computers,
   Freedom and Privacy conference in Cambridge. Two Treasury Department
   officials handed him the subpoena after a session on Carnivore, the
   FBI's e-mail surveillance tool.

   [...]

********