Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on ICANN, .org domains, and evicting non-"nonprofits"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 17:30:36 -0500

***********

Date: Mon,  5 Mar 2001 15:26:04 -0500
From: Jamie McCarthy <jamie () mccarthy vg>
Subject: Re: FC: ICANN responds to politech message about evicting .org owners
To: declan () well com
cc: mclaughlin () pobox com

> From: "Andrew McLaughlin" <mclaughlin () pobox com>

> We don't have any intention of kicking out existing domain name
> holders. The idea is to turn over management of .org to some
> appopriate organization/association/entity/whatever, which would
> then make decisions about .org registration policy.
>
> I'm always amazed by the amount of misreporting & hyperventilation
> about domain name stuff -- this one's no exception.

That's not what ICANN's proposed revisions call for.

   "The net result of this would be a .org registry returned,
   after some appropriate transition period, to its originally
   intended function as a registry operated by and for non-profit
   organizations."

   <http://www.icann.org/melbourne/
   proposed-verisign-agreements-topic.htm>

Compare to RFC 1591 which actually does list .org's original function,
and in which the word "nonprofit" is nowhere to be seen:

   "ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for
   organizations that didn't fit anywhere else.  Some
   non-government organizations may fit here."

   <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1591.txt>

This is very simple.  The proposed revisions are factually wrong and
if adopted would represent a quiet, dramatic change in policy.
Whether ICANN intends to make the change itself or hand .org off to
some other agency to let them make the change is immaterial;  people
are still going to be upset and rightly so.

Now that this has gotten a ton of press, presumably ICANN will back
down and explain that it's a misunderstanding, etc.

But the reassurances that existing .org owners will be allowed to
squat are not very reassuring.  If new .org registrations are not
allowed except to "bona fide" nonprofit corporations, that will be a
great disservice to individuals.

.com has become a trademark-holder-only zone.  The alleged enforcers
of the UDRP routinely break its rules in an effort to take away
more and more domains from people who bought them and hand them over
to corporations which have similar trademarks.  (And thus earn more
money from the fees which these same corporations pay.)

   <http://slashdot.org/yro/01/02/07/0631201.shtml>

The same is now true for .net.  Although originally it was for
providers of network services (see RFC 1591, which is very specific on
this point, unlike .org), .net is just as much a trademark-only zone
as .com.  For example, the 4th Circuit Court recently took away vw.net
from Virtual Works, Inc., a genuine internet service provider since
1996, and gave it to Volkswagen, which provides no network services
that I know of.  Under the "originally intended function" of .net,
Volkswagen should not even be _allowed_ to own a .net domain, much
less take one away from its rightful owner, but such is life on the
internet these days.

   <http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/001356.P.pdf>

So if we seem a little skittish about news that .org will soon be
declared off-limits to mere individuals as well, you'll have to
excuse us.  We're wondering where this is going to end.
--
        Jamie McCarthy
        jamie () mccarthy vg