Politech mailing list archives

FC: CFP report #1 from Cambridge, Mass

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 00:14:47 -0500

Some politechnicals are wondering what's going on with CFP, which is being held in Boston -- the epicenter of the big nor'easter storm. Estimates for total snowfall range between one and three feet, with winds of above 50 mph.

If you're not familiar with the Computers, Freedom, and Privacy conference, check out cfp2001.org or:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=cfp

I'm typing this from the conference hotel. The event is scheduled to begin Tuesday, though regulars frequently come early. I've spotted only a very few people so far, and the hotel desk clerk reports many cancellations. Unfortunately, the only bar in the hotel and all but one restaurant are closed for repairs so there's no useful congregation area to estimate attendance.

Contrary to what the web site says, tutorials for Tuesday are cancelled and rescheduled for Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Some informal "roundtables" will be held Wednesday instead. Boston Logan airport is likely to have snow delays through Wednesday. But the conference, at least for the folks and speakers who make it here, is still on.

-Declan