Politech mailing list archives

FC: FTC commish, Gephardt oppose new privacy laws; Echelon update

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:56:27 -0700

[A few months ago, around the time that Sen. Wyden was busy claiming that privacy legislation this year was inevitable, we ran a piece that went against conventional wisdom: http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,42123,00.html EPIC's Marc Rotenberg told me when I interviewed him for the article that "the likelihood of privacy legislation in this Congress is high." No longer. Even with a Democratic Senate and Sen. Hollings as committee chair, the political winds are shifting away from new rules and regulations aimed at corporations. Maybe next year. -Declan]

***********

http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO61130,00.html
FTC member says privacy concerns becoming 'hysteria'
2001-06-06 04:48:04

On the business-to-consumer front, [FTC Commissioner Thomas] Leary said he doesn't expect the FTC to impose any new privacy regulations, at least for now. "In my view, there's a new hysteria on this question of privacy." [...]

***********

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/166960.html
Gephardt Waxes GOP-Like On Privacy, Military Spending
2001-06-18 15:35:04

"It may be that sometime out in the future we all agree that the law needs to be advanced or changed, but right now, we believe this is best left to your own devices to try to figure out." Gephardt's position marks a distinct shift in his personal stance on privacy legislation over the past year. [...]

http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=195156
Gephardt: Companies sensitive on privacy
2001-06-18 19:14:09

Gephardt: "Responsible companies know intuitively that it's in their deep self-interest to protect the privacy of the consumer, so I believe they have all the incentives they need in order to get this done." [...]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0106/18/text/world11.html
US wins Spain's favour with offer to share spy network material

The United States has agreed to share highly classified material from the Anglo-American Echelon intelligence network with the Spanish Government to help Madrid's battle against the Basque separatist group ETA. The move is seen as an attempt to smooth relations with Europe at a time of increasing tensions. [...] The deal was alluded to by Mr Josep Piqué, Spain's Foreign Minister, who confirmed in general terms that the US had agreed to spy on ETA. "It opens up a very promising field of action, so that we can definitely defeat terrorism. [...]

http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=194966
UPI hears ...

How did President George Bush secure the unexpected support of the Spanish government for his missile defense plans, and even Spanish premier Jose Maria Aznar's "understanding" of Bush's uncompromising opposition to the Kyoto agreement on global warming? It seems that the Spaniards, in their struggle against the ETA Basque terrorist group, are most grateful for assistance from U.S. intelligence. [...]