Politech mailing list archives

FC: Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller on MS: We still want a breakup

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:28:18 -0400

[BTW I will be on NBC's evening news tonight, I believe airing as early as 6:30 PM ET -- you get to see a view of my living room -- and CNN three times tomorrow morning starting at 7:15, during which they'll take emailed questions from viewers. --Declan]

---

Statement of Tom Miller
Attorney General of Iowa
Microsoft Appeals Court Decision
June 28, 2001

        We are very pleased with the Court's unanimous decision in the
Microsoft case.

        This unambiguous opinion affirming the key elements of our case is
especially important since this Court was thought by many to be favorable to
the company's views of the issues, in light of the Court's previous
decisions in the antitrust area.

        Our victory before this Court demonstrates conclusively our
long-held contention that this case was founded upon traditional antitrust
principles.

        We would be very comfortable before the District Court in reviewing
both our tying claims and the remedy necessary to address the findings of
wrongdoing by Microsoft in maintaining its monopoly.  We will have the
opportunity to present again our claim that Microsoft illegally linked
together its products to further protect its monopoly.

        With a unanimous liability decision as the basis for a strong
remedy, today's decision will offer us a powerful foundation for addressing
that issue again before the District Court.

        The states believe that recent activities by Microsoft will only
strengthen our argument for strong remedies, including a possible break-up.
The company's recent announcements regarding XP and Hailstorm indicate to us
that Microsoft may be repeating its efforts to maintain and extend its
monopoly even more broadly into the Internet.

- 30 -
Contact Bob Brammer, 515-281-6699