Politech mailing list archives

FC: China shuts down Net-cafes; more on China and Net-control

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:41:46 -0400

Previous Politech messages:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02283.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02275.html

Politech archive:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=china

********

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 18:38:10 +0800
From: John Tanner <tanner () telecomasia net>
To: declan () well com, politech () politechbot com
Subject: Re: FC: China can use Net for control; response from Adam Powell

Hi Declan,

Regarding the Politech posts about control of the Internet in China,
etc, here's an item from AFP (cribbing a story from state news agency
Xinhua, so watch out) with an update on the cyber-cafe crackdown
announced by the government last April.

Friday, July 20 12:19 AM SGT

China shuts down nearly 2,000 Internet cafes: Xinhua

http://english.hk.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/technology/afp/article.html?s=hke/headlines/010720/technology/afp/China_shuts_down_nearly_2_000_Internet_cafes__Xinhua.html

By the way, here's one interesting side effect of the Chinese
government's concerns over "pernicious information" and other harmful
content on the Net: it's evidently inspired a cottage industry for scam
artists selling "black boxes" and software to ISPs, Internet cafe owners
and end users that promise to block access to or otherwise censor
pernicious content that could get you in trouble with the authorities.
This is according to an analyst from BDA China I met in Shanghai
recently -- and, unsurprisingly, these censorship products work just
about as well as you might expect them to (which is to say, not very).

Regards,

John C. Tanner
Global Technology Editor
Telecom Asia/Wireless Asia