Politech mailing list archives

FC: American Family Association steps up Yahoo attack, reply from annoy.com

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 13:25:27 -0400

Following is:
1. A press release this week from the American Family Association (they apparently won't give up until Yahoo shuts down any group that is offensive)
2. Comments from annoy.com's Clinton Fein
3. Other responses

Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=trueman

-Declan

*********

AMERICAN
FAMILY
ASSOCIATION  ____________________________________
Washington, D.C. Office
                                                                PRESS RELEASE
Contact: Patrick Trueman (202) 544-0061

For Immediate Release                                            July 16, 2001

YAHOO! HELPS CHILD MOLESTERS, CHILD PORN TRADERS,
AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOC. SAYS

"Yahoo! is providing a free service on its own servers that helps pedophiles find children to rape and traders of child pornography to exchange illegal photos," said Patrick A. Trueman of American Family Association. Through its "Child Pornography Crimes Members Directory" Yahoo! facilitates these illegal and despicable practices," he added. On the directory, members list their Yahoo! I.D. Clicking on the I.D. opens up the members' personal Yahoo! profile, which includes information that the member has posted. This includes, solicitations for sex with children and for child pornography, an e-mail address, often a sexually explicit photo of the member, a list of the members' favorite Yahoo! sex clubs and other Yahoo! member directories of interest.

One member, a male, 37, indicates his interests include incest & pedophilia and says he is "looking for wife with whom I can start an incest family." Another lists his occupation as "child porn addict," and says his hobbies are exchanging child porn by e-mail and having sex with his daughter. Another man makes the following solicitation: " Mom, dad, and daughter looking for a young girl to play with us. How young? Try it and see."

Yahoo! should get out of the business of facilitating child rapists and child pornographers," Trueman said. "Yahoo! should immediately close its Child Pornography Crimes Members Directory, he added.

AFA is starting an online petition this week (www.afa.net) urging Yahoo! to clean up its site, according to Trueman. Trueman is AFA's director of governmental affairs, and was chief of the Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice, from 1988 to 1992.

227 Massachusetts Avenue, N.E., Suite 302, Washington, D.C. 20002
  (202) 544-0061, fax (202) 544-0504

*********