Politech mailing list archives

FC: Happy Fourth of July!

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:41:48 -0400

[Happy belated 4th of July, that is. Below is a special issue of Freedom News, an excellent daily roundup of summarized articles. --Declan]

 Freedom News in today's update:
  o America in rebellion
  o Articles of Confederation
  o United States Constitution
  o Federalist papers
  o Anti-federalist papers
  o The war inevitable
  o Common Sense
  o The Rights of Man
  o The Papers of Thomas Jefferson
  o Brief biography: John Locke (1632-1704)
  o Democracy in America
  o Libertystory.net

Today we're doing something a little different in honor of U.S.
Independence Day. For those of you within the United States, we wish you a
happy Fourth of July. For those outside the U.S., we hope that you'll join
us for a celebration of liberty.

yours,
J.D. Tuccille

America in rebellion (Declaration of Independence)
----------
   With this document, rebellious American colonists declared
   their independence from the British government and announced
   plans to create a new and free nation. (07/04/1776)
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/const/declar.html

Articles of Confederation
----------
   The first governing document for the newly independent
   United States.
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/artconf.htm

United States Constitution
----------
   The text of the current governing document of the
   United States of America, including all amendments.
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/usconst.htm

Federalist papers
----------
   Arguments penned by Alexander Hamilton, John Jay
   and James Madison in favor of the adoption of the
   Constitution to replace the Articles of Confederation.
   (1787-1789)
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/federal/fed.htm

Anti-federalist papers
----------
   Arguments against the proposed Constitution, arguing
   that it provided for too centralized a government and
   contained the seeds of tyranny.
   (1787-1789)
http://www.constitution.org/afp/afp.htm

The war inevitable
----------
by Patrick Henry
   Patrick Henry's "Liberty or Death" speech to
   the 1775 Virginia Convention. (03/23/1775)
http://www.webleyweb.com/klh/pathenry.html

Common Sense
----------
by Thomas Paine
   Full text of the book that inspired the
   Declaration of Independence and fueled the
   American revolution. (1776)
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/1776-1800/paine/CM/sensexx.htm

The Rights of Man
----------
by Thomas Paine
   Paine's defense of individual liberty. As always,
   Paine is quick to make valuable suggestions for
   proper government.
http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/D/1776-1800/paine/ROM/rofmxx.htm

The Papers of Thomas Jefferson
----------
   The collected writings of the often-libertarian
   author of the Declaration of Independence.
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/presiden/jeffpap.htm

Brief biography: John Locke (1632-1704)
----------
   John Locke's influence on modern views of liberty
   is profound, including providing much of the
   philosophical influence for the American Revolution.
http://www.acton.org/publicat/randl/00sep_oct/liberaltradition.html

Democracy in America
----------
by Alexis de Tocqueville
   The full text of the classic 19th-century analysis by
   an observant French aristocrat of the culture and people
   of the American republic and the potential threat to
   liberty posed by too much democracy.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/DETOC/toc_indx.html

Libertystory.net
----------
by Jim Powell
   A companion site to Jim Powell's wonderful book,
   "The Triumph of Liberty," this site stands on its
   own as probably the best single introduction to the
   history of liberty online.
http://www.libertystory.net/

 ============/ End of Today's Freedom News Update \===============
 Please forward and copy this message. Freedom News Daily is edited
 by J.D. Tuccille. It's a service of Free-Market.Net: The Freedom
 Network and The Henry Hazlitt Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit.
 To support Freedom News and our other activities please consider
 a tax-deductible membership donation now:
      https://ssl1.imagiware.com/hazlitt/ccard.html

 If you see stories that belong in Freedom News, let us know:
 http://free-market.net/cgi/addNews.cgi
 Opinions expressed are those of the writers and editors only.
 To subscribe or unsubscribe to this and other lists,
 click to: http://free-market.net/features/lists/
 or http://free-market.net/cgi/listMgr.cgi (for members)