Politech mailing list archives

FC: Federal appeals court sides with police in BBS search and seizure

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 09:40:52 -0400

---

Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:50:56 -0400
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: "Lynne L. Harrison" <lharrison () dueprocess com>
Subject: Guest v. Leis

Declan-

Thought you might find this case interesting - seizure case involving an online bulletin board.

GUEST v. LEIS, No 99-4115, 99-4176 (6th Cir. July 02, 2001)
Government officials have Eleventh Amendment immunity from liability for seizure of materials commingled on a criminal suspect's computer with allegedly criminal evidence despite the Privacy Protection Act, 42 USC 2000aa(a), and third-party standing under the Fourth Amendment.

To read the full text of this opinion, go to:
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/6th/01a0206p.html

Lynne

Lynne L. Harrison, Esq.           |    "The key to life:
Poughkeepsie, New York            |     - Get up;
mailto:lharrison () dueprocess com  |     - Survive;
http://www.dueprocess.com        |     - Go to bed."

DISCLAIMER:  I am not your attorney; you are not my client.
             Accordingly, the above is *NOT* legal advice.