Politech mailing list archives

FC: FCC Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth says he's leaving

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:28:18 -0500

Harold Furchtgott-Roth was frequently the voice of reason at the FCC;
he will be missed. Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=Furchtgott

-Declan

                           For Immediate Release
                              January 31, 2001
                               Press Contact:
                         Bryan Tramont 202-418-2000

   COMMISSIONER FURCHTGOTT-ROTH DECLINES TO SEEK REAPPOINTMENT; WILL
   SERVE UNTIL DATE MUTUALLY AGREED TO WITH ADMINISTRATION
   FCC Commissioner Harold Furchtgott-Roth today announced he is not
   seeking reappointment to a second term. His first term expired June
   30, 2000. Commissioner Furchtgott- Roth's statement follows:

   "It has been a great honor to serve for more than three years on the
   Federal Communications Commission, more than half a year beyond the
   expiration of my term. However, there comes a time when every free
   market advocate in government must fulfill his dream by returning to
   the private sector. For me, that time has arrived. Therefore I have
   decided not to seek reappointment. Nonetheless, in order to facilitate
   a smooth transition, I will continue to serve until a mutually
   agreeable departure date is worked out with the Administration.

   "I will leave with many friends at the Commission. I have been
   fortunate enough to serve with a talented and thoughtful group of
   fellow Commissioners. I look forward to our continued friendship in
   the years to come. In this regard, Chairman Powell will be a great
   Chairman; I will do all I can to assist him in guiding the agency
   towards a more faithful interpretation of the law.

   "My personal staff has been both gifted and dedicated. They have been
   responsible for many of the achievements of my office. Paul Misener,
   Kevin Martin, Helgi Walker, Rebecca Beynon, Bryan Tramont and my other
   legal advisors have served with distinction. The separate statements
   and dissents they helped craft have disciplined the agency and brought
   it closer to the Communications Act. Dolly Johnson and Ginger Clark
   kept me on time and on task for three years -- no small
   accomplishment.

   "The Commission's professional staff is both knowledgeable and deeply
   committed to serving the public. As I have often said, the American
   taxpayer is our ultimate employer. We should be judged by our service
   to them. The FCC staff -- from the Bureau Chiefs to the Engineers,
   from the Mailroom to the Security Team, from the lawyers to the
   economists -- has consistently impressed me with its friendliness to
   the public and willingness to help. We are lucky to have them.

   "Finally, I am also grateful to those outside the Commission that have
   been so instrumental to my service here. I particularly note my
   deepest gratitude for the support of Tom Bliley, the former chairman
   of the House Committee on Commerce, and Majority Leader Trent Lott of
   the United States Senate. Their commitment to public service has been
   an inspiration. So many others also have been supportive; I hope to be
   able to thank each individually in the months ahead."

                                  - FCC -