Politech mailing list archives

FC: How companies buy medical histories from MDs, nurses

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:32:15 -0500

********

From: "Dr. Joshua Kerbel" <Josh () idirect com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Medical Privacy story
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:12:00 -0500

This may interest other readers

<http://www.torontostar.com/apps/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=978928267281&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News>http<http://www.torontostar.com/apps/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=978928267281&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News>://www.torontostar.com/apps/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=978928267281&call_page=TS_News&call_pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News

Up for sale: Your secret health files

Companies buy medical histories from MDs, nurses
Tyler Hamilton
TECHNOLOGY REPORTER

Dr. James Sears calls himself North America's top medical investigator. So if you've got any skeletons in your closet, watch out: Prying eyes may be watching.

Two years ago, Sears decided to launch a service that performs medical background checks for companies wanting to verify the health history of job candidates.

The idea was to sniff out records - increasingly in electronic format - that reveal undisclosed medical conditions that could result in numerous sick days and low productivity somewhere down the road.

``We do something nobody else in Canada does,'' says Sears, founder of The Second Opinion, a Toronto-based business. ``In five years, we feel it will be as commonplace as checking references on a resume.''

To date, his clients have included Canadian Tire and the Toronto Transit Commission.

Sears says he doesn't need access to the Internet to carry out his investigations. Rather, his methods are much more simple: Make phone calls to doctors' offices and hospitals, and request data from receptionists, nurses and administrators who generally have access to computer medical records.

Most times he has permission to carry out his checks through consent provisions on job applications. ``If you don't, then you have to do a lot of hunting and digging. And we have our ways of doing that,'' he says.

As a special report on privacy in today's @Biz section shows, it has never been easier to collect personal health, financial and consumer information in this age of electronic government and online commerce.

[...]