Politech mailing list archives

FC: Internet trade association responds to anti-Usenet porn post

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:09:01 -0500

It seems to me that a crucial point is absent from this discussion: Not all posts in even an alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.* newsgroup are going to be what you might expect. Some will be discussion of photos, some will be "please post," some will be irate anti-pornsters complaining, some will be the newsgroup regulars fighting back, some will be trolls, some will be spam, etc.

Certainly some of the above discussion is protected by the First Amendment, so conceding that an entire newsgroup is filled with illegal material concedes too much. The Scientologists, for instance, would surely claim that all discussion in alt.religion.scientology is illicit, when only a minority of messages (arguably) violate copyright law.

If ISPs are going to be in the business of deleting stuff from Usenet -- a hopeless task anyway -- they may as well demand specific message IDs of allegedly unlawful material.

-Declan