Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on how FCC and Congress will regulate new vs. old media

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:19:52 -0500

************
Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01707.html
************

From: "Singleton, Norman" <Norman.Singleton () mail house gov>
To: declan () well com
Subject: RE: TV-Internet broadcasters self-censoring because of FCC regs
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 08:19:11 -0500

> Reduce regulation on traditional media, or
> impose it on the new media. What's going to happen here? --Declan]

My prediction is federal regulation will be imposed on the new media by a
coalition of liberal totalitarians and misguided members of the Christian
right. This may even be the issue Lierberman uses to move back to the
"center" having voted with the left on Ascroft and Norton (it appears he
will also oppose Bush's tax cut) in order to position himself for 2004.