Politech mailing list archives

FC: Voter.com becomes Voter.gone, closing down immediately

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:15:27 -0500

[Sadly for voter.com, there is not that much of a market for such political websites, at least outside of an election year. Even the conventions resembled more a poorly-attended trade show (http://www.mccullagh.org/image/950-12/dem-convention-4.html) than the stuff of which excitement is made. I wish the voter.com folks well in their new ventures. --Declan]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                   Contact: Skip Joslin
February 5, 2001 202.347.8100

Voter.gone

Washington, DC, February 5, 2001

Voter.com, the premier political portal on the Web and one of the most viewed websites in the country during the last election cycle, announced today that it is closing its doors, effective immediately.

"Over the last two years, we've proven that politics and the Internet can be successfully wed," Voter.com CEO Justin Dangel said. "We set out to build a fully integrated political communications and consulting company, and we succeeded. Unfortunately financial market conditions worked against us."

Voter.com received more than 8 million page views on Election Day last year, capping a highly successful foray into online politics. It was one of the most visible presences at the national party conventions this past August.

Voter.com promoted a more active and informed electorate by providing facts and a range of opinions on political issues and candidates.

"In just over a year, we created a site that was widely praised by our colleagues in the mediaincluding being named the nation's top political website by Forbes and Business Week," Founding Editor Bob Vanasse added. "We broke new ground with every political event in 2000 from the State of the Union, to the conventions, to Election Night. The credit goes to the impressive team who left numerous other positions to work here. When the history of the 2000 election is written, there will be a chapter about Voter.com. We came from nowhere and accomplished a great deal. We have reason to be proud."

Added Dangel: "There is no question the politics-Internet union will one day be profitable, and at that time we will take pride in having blazed this trail."