Politech mailing list archives

FC: Singapore political website closes after government demands

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 02:31:41 -0400

Some background:

"Singapore orders political websites to register with government"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02257.html

"Singapore political website reluctantly registers with government"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02271.html

**********

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:29:48 +0800 (SGT)
From: Xiao Jinhong <limabean () pobox org sg>
To: declan () well com
Subject: Singapore: Sintercom to close down

Hi Declan. Thought you might find this of interest. A posting in the Sintercom
forum confirms this.

This is likely to be a direct consequence of the Sintercom site being asked to
register itself with the Singapore Broadcasting Authority recently, since IIRC
all registered political websites (whether or not political party websites,
which would hence include Sintercom) must comply with the amended Parliamentary
Elections Act.

2 recent stories in the Straits Times:

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/breakingnews/story/0,1895,63836-997739940,00.html?

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/storyprintfriendly/0,1887,64110,00.html?