Politech mailing list archives

FC: Cops arrest teens who warn drivers to brake before radar gun

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 10:05:47 -0400

********

From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamond () mail house gov>
To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declan () well com>
Subject: Protest cameras, go to jail !
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:21:41 -0400

Pictures of the evil scofflaws under the weather box in "photo of the day"
<http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html>http://www.calgaryherald.com/index.html

MICHELLE MARK, The Calgary Sun
August 2, 2001 Thursday, Final Edition
BOYS TICKED OVER TICKETS

Three Calgary teens caught sounding the horn on photo radar are on the road to youth court.

Last June 13, the three boys noticed police setting up photo radar on Acadia Dr. S.E. and took it upon themselves to warn drivers to slow down before getting slapped with a ticket.

Now it's the teens who are headed to court fighting tickets of their own.

"We just thought we'd make a couple of signs to warn people," said a 15-year-old who held up a sign reading "Radar Ahead" with his friends 200 metres from where police were set up.

"I wouldn't consider it doing anything wrong," said the teen, who cannot be identified under provisions of the Young Offenders Act.

But police saw things differently. Cops say the $115 stunting ticket for each of them isn't for alerting drivers to photo radar -- it's for potentially distracting them.

[...]