Politech mailing list archives

FC: Followup: Borders says it never intended to try facecams

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:05:15 -0400

Previous facecam Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02442.html

*********

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Ann Binkley
Borders Public Relations U.S.
734-477-1519

Company Statement
Borders (UK) Ltd.
Re:  Security System
Issued:  28 August, 2001

Borders (UK) Ltd. was approached by the British distributors of a new
security system that scans the faces of individuals entering the store
and compares the images to those of known shoplifters.  Borders was
offered a free trial of this system in our two London store locations on
Charing Cross Road and Oxford Street.  Unfortunately, a Borders employee
mistakenly communicated that Borders would proceed with the free trial.
At the Borders Group, Inc. headquarters, no approval was granted to move
forward with the trial.  In fact, the company will not participate in a
trial of the technology or implement it in the United Kingdom or in any
Borders store worldwide.

Borders strongly values the human rights and privacy of our staff and
our customers. At Borders, we feel we have an obligation to provide a
safe environment for our customers and staff. We promise to continue to
do so, while offering the best selection and service available anywhere.