Politech mailing list archives

FC: Amazon privacy policy change irks groups, from AP

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 14:48:07 -0400

[Thanks to Ian for sending us his story. But I'm not sure why this is,
as EPIC apparently suggests in it, something that requires
congressional action. People should instead simply only shop at places
that have acceptable privacy policies. Privacy, like price, color, or
warranty, will be one more component of a transaction that consumers
consider. Besides, companies are certainly capable of writing policies
that include a we-will-not-alter-this-paragraph-without-your-consent
section, and I predict they will if consumers truly care about
privacy. Executives have every reason (making money) to please their
customers, and more incentive than ever: there's not that much brand
loyalty online. --Declan]

*********