Politech mailing list archives

FC: ICANN releases list of top-level domain applicants

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 13:21:56 -0400

http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=00/10/04/1645211&mode=nested

   Groups Vie to Own New Top Level Domains
   posted by cicero on Wednesday October 04, @11:40AM
   from the my-opponent-clearly-does-not-understand-the-value-of-xxx
   dept.

   It's been some five years in the making, but we finally might
   have some new top-level domain names. ICANN has released
   a list of people who have applied for namespaces like .web and .biz.
   Note the overlaps: Three companies are vying to register .xxx, three
   want .web, and two want .air. An ICANN source tells us that the board
   of directors will choose winners by the end of the year. But a recent
   government report says the White House get the final call, and the
   timing could allow the next administration to decide. Anyone want to
   ask George and Al what they think?