Politech mailing list archives

FC: ICANN Update: Putting names in a historical perspective, and more

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:03:23 -0500

[Also see Michael Froomkin's "Beware the ICANN Board Squatters" at:
http://personal.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/boardsquat.htm  --Declan]

*******

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:07:30 +0900
To: declan () well com
From: Ted Nelson <ted () xanadu net>
Subject: Red Whatnot Symbol (Icann hardly imagine

Declan,

Maybe you knew all about this, but I had no IDEA such a noncontroversial
(!?) idea would generate such problems.

Puts the ICANN stuff into perspective.

Best, Ted N.

-----
( from editorial in the Japan Times, 00.10.11)

What's in a symbol?

"Symbolism," according to Edward N. West in "Outward Signs,"
 his classic study of Christian symbols, "is so powerful that the
 message conveyed, regardless of origin or context, is perfectly clear."

To its lasting regret and perplexity, the Red Cross has found that
 observation to be all too true.  When the international humanitarian
 organization was founded in Geneva, Switzerland, in 1864, the symbol
 of a red cross on a white field was adopted, not for its religious
 significance, but-- by reversing the Swiss flag-- as a tribute to that
 country's tradition of neutrality.  In "origin and context," the red cross
 was intended to transcend national borders and religious differences,
 not to suggest them.

It wasn't long before the rest of the world set the idealistic Europeans
 straight-- just 12 years, in fact.  During the Crimean War, the Ottoman
 Turks understandably saw the red cross as an unambiguous Christian
 symbol and at once began using a red crescent on a white ground
 instead, so as not "to give offense to Muslim soldiers."  By the turn
 of the century, other requests were being floated: Persia wanted a
 red lion and sun, Siam a red flame.  Ultimately, the Geneva Convention
 of 1929 officially recognized the red cross, the red crescent and the
 red lion and sun ...  As early as the 1930s, Palestine-- and later Israel--
 wanted the red shield of David, and Afghanistan requested recognition
 of a red mosque.  More recently, India has asked permission to use a
 red swastika and Zimbabwe a red star.  ...

For 50 years, the International Committee of the Red Cross and the
 International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement have acceded
 to none of these requests, fearing that the ensuing circus parade of
 emblems would undercut the whole point of having an emblem at all ...

Representatives of the 189 nations that have signed the Geneva
 Conventions will meet in Geneva on Oct. 25 to consider a draft
 protocol to authorize an additional emblem.  Consisting of two
 facing red chevrons, the new emblem would be "free of any national,
 religious or other connotation," but would also have space for any one
 of the cross, the crescent, the Star of David or a combination of cross
 and crescent.  No other emblems would thereafter be permitted.  In
 time of war, only the chevrons would be used.  The hope is that this
 remarkably clever and creative proposal will finally settle the most
 contentious outstanding anomaly-- the fact that some countries'
 humanitarian organizations have been denied international recognition
 because of an outdated legal impediment. ...

FULL TEXT FOLLOWS ======================
[...]

 red lion and sun (although Iran dropped use of the last in 1980).
 This decision was reaffirmed by the 1949 Diplomatic Conference to
 revise the Geneva Conventions, thus closing the door on any further
 proliferation of emblems.  Or so it was hoped.

There was never a chance that more countries would not come
 knocking.  Once Muslim countries had won the right to use an
 explicitly religious and regional symbol, the red cross was, ipso facto,
 made a religious and regional symbol too.  Naturally, there were
 objections to both: As early as the 1930s, Palestine-- and later Israel--
 wanted the red shield of David, and Afghanistan requested recognition
 of a red mosque.  More recently, India has asked permission to use
 a red swastika and Zimbabwe a red star.  Some countries, like
 Kazakstan and Eritrea, want to use both the red cross *and* the
 red crescent.

For 50 years, the International Committee of the Red Cross and the
 International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement have acceded to
 none of these requests, fearing that the ensuing circus parade of
 emblems would undercut the whole point of having an emblem at all:
 to provide a universal, supra-partisan sign that confers clear
 identification and protection.  At present, 176 countries use the
 red cross and 30, including Iran, use the red crescent.  But
 dissatisfaction and pressure have mounted to the point where the
 problem has to be addressed.  At the end of this month, it may finally
 be resolved.

Representatives of the 189 nations that have signed the Geneva
 Conventions will meet in Geneva on Oct. 25 to consider a draft
 protocol to authorize an additional emblem.  Consisting of two facing
 red chevrons, the new emblem would be "free of any national, religious
 or other connotation," but would also have space for any one of the
 cross, the crescent, the Star of David or a combination of cross and
 crescent.  No other emblems would thereafter be permitted.  In time
 of war, only the chevrons would be used.  The hope is that this
 remarkably clever and creative proposal will finally settle the most
 contentious outstanding anomaly-- the fact that some countries'
 humanitarian organizations have been denied international recognition
 because of an outdated legal impediment.

There is some opposition to the plan.  The American Red Cross
 Society, for example, while supporting Israel's claim for recognition
 of the Star of David, rejects the chevron because of its military
 connotations and because it "is also the symbol of an international oil
 company."  Others question why, if the Star of David is added to the
 list of emblems acceptable for use with the double chevron, other
 future signatories to the Geneva Conventions should not press claims
 for further exceptions.

Yet it seems clear that the movement has little choice but to proceed
 with the compromise.  The obvious best solution would be to have
 a single emblem that was universally acceptable, like the Olympic rings.
 But that option was foreclosed on as soon as the red cross, with its
 powerful symbolic resonance, was adopted way back in 1864.  Since
 then, proposals to abandon the cross have met with as much
 opposition as proposals to make it the organization's sole emblem.
 At this point, there is no way forward to but to adopt the overarching
 chevron, or some other indisputably neutral design, and hope that
 in the coming years and decades it will become as recognizable on
 the battlefield as the cross and crescent have been in the 20th century.

It's either that, or the obviously absurd hope that there will be no more
 battlefields.

[END]

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 •  e-mail: ted () xanadu net   •  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 •  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    •  http://www.xanadu.net
 • Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965

*********