Politech mailing list archives

FC: Wearable police computers, and a final word on DNA sniffing

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:29:38 -0500

[Now watch some enterprising law enforcement agency combine the "Digital MP" system with DNA sniffing... --Declan]

*********

http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/news/Nov2000/a20001113digitalmp.html

Soldiers test `Digital MP System'

   by Trish Warrick

   FORT POLK, La. (Army News Service, Nov. 13, 2000) Military Police
   could see around corners, through trees and in the dark as they tested
   the Army's new "Digital MP System" this month at Fort Polk, La.

   Patrolmen wore eyeglass-mounted miniature cameras providing "streaming
   video" to their partners. Viewing screens in the eyeglasses also
   allowed the MPs to check the faces of suspects they stopped against
   digital mug shots of known offenders.

   Fort Polk's 91st Military Police Detachment soldiers became the first
   MPs to test the system Oct. 30 to Nov. 3. Representatives of the U.S.
   Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Mass., brought the Digital MP
   System to Fort Polk. They were joined by members of the Defense
   Advanced Research Projects Agency and a number of contractor teams
   wanting to see how the system would work on real soldiers.

   The Digital MP is a durable, lightweight, wearable communications and
   information management system designed to help carry out
   reconnaissance, checkpoint security, anti-terrorism operations and
   other MP missions, said program manager Henry Girolamo, Natick
   Soldiers Center.

   The backbone of the Digital MP is a wearable computer developed by ViA
   Inc., MicroOptical Corp and Honeywell Inc. and tailored to the mission
   requirements of the MP soldier, Girolamo said. The Digital MP's
   support features include a hands-free, voice-operated interface and a
   battery that provides day-long power on a single charge. It features
   peripherals such as:

     * An audiovisual system with built-in miniature camera for face
       recognition and image display plus a noise-cancelling microphone
       and bone-conduction microphone/earphone for voice recognition, all
       incorporated in a pair of normal-size eyeglass frames
     * A BDU-pocket-sized "military e-book" readable even in strong
       sunlight or pale starlight (with night vision goggles) that emits
       no light to give away a soldier's position
     * An electronic glove that can function like a computer mouse with
       the e-book and translate hand signals into words on other
       soldiers' eyeglass-mounted viewers
       The Digital MP system can connect a military police team
       wirelessly and in ways never before possible, officials said.
       The eyeglass-mounted camera provides streaming video, which means
       "it can transmit to me what another MP is looking at even though I
       can't see him," said Sgt. Michael Sauer, Special Reaction Team
       noncommissioned officer in charge, 91st MP Det.
       An MP making a traffic stop or manning a checkpoint can take live
       videos which are checked against digital mug shots stored in the
       National Crime Interdiction Center database, Sauer said, so he's
       quickly alerted if the person stopped has a criminal record. On
       deployment, the system can warn him that he's dealing with a
       suspected terrorist or war criminal.
       An MP on patrol can use the e-book to quickly help others locate
       what he sees. "Say he's on recon, looking at the terrain," said
       Sauer. "He sees enemy tanks." Using traditional methods, the
       soldier plots coordinates on a paper map, calls the TOC on the
      radio and another soldier plots the coordinates on another map.
       With Digital MP, "He puts the icon on the map and sends it to the
       operations center," Sauer said.
       With the electronic glove, MPs separated by thick woods, buildings
       or darkness can still communicate silently with the familiar hand
       signals for "Suspect armed!" and other vital information.
       The adapted Nomex flight glove, with bend sensors in each finger
       and in the wrist, pressure sensors in the index and middle
       fingertips and 2-degree tilt sensors, renders preprogrammed
       gestures as words in fellow MPs' eyeglass display monitors. The
       glove works when the signaler doesn't have line of sight
       communication with the others and doesn't want to give away his
       position by speaking, said Sauer.
       The glove also functions like a mouse with the e-book, guiding the
       cursor with the tilt sensor and using the pressure sensors as
       right and left clicks. When silence is necessary, as on patrol,
       the glove can override the voice-operated system.
       The Digital MP can be programmed to continuously translate speech
       from English to another language and vice versa with only a
       five-second lag. Presently it can handle Spanish, Korean, Arabic,
       German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Thai and Turkish, and
       officials said they plan to add "militarese" -- translating the
       soldier's "clicks" into the civilian's "kilometers," for instance.
       (Editor's note: Trish Warrick is editor of the Fort Polk
       Guardian.)

*********