Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on DNA sniffing and whether it can reliably identify you

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:21:21 -0500

Hugh below writes that mitochondrial DNA may not carry enough differentiating information to be useful to police. I welcome other views, but here's an excerpt from the National Commission on the Future of DNA Evidence report saying it can, or can soon:

http://www.ncjrs.org/txtfiles1/nij/177626.txt
Over the years, the technology has undergone rapid change and
refinement that has increased both its capability to obtain meaningful
results from old evidence samples and its discriminatory capabilities. At
first, crime laboratories relied primarily on restriction fragment length
polymorphism (RFLP) testing, a technique that is very discriminating but
requires a comparatively large quantity of good quality DNA. Now,
however, most laboratories are shifting to using tests based on the
polymerase chain reaction (PCR) method, a kind of molecular copying
technique that can generate reliable data from extremely small amounts of
DNA in crime scene samples. Indeed, we are moving into an era where a
PCR-based test using mitochondrial DNA can successfully obtain results
from a shaft of hair or dried bones. (See discussion in chapter 3.)

-Declan

*******