Politech mailing list archives

FC: Internet voting in Florida; state uses Microsoft SQL; more

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:30:08 -0500

********

From: Adam Powell <apowell () freedomforum org>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>
Subject: but will online voting elect Bush?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:36:02 -0500

Declan,

It's reported that the 5,000 Florida votes that have not been counted at all
are overseas absentee -- mostly military. That can only be good news for
Bush, given how heavily the military went for the GOP. But now the Internet
angle...

There's an interesting Internet voting angle here: There is a little-known
federal experiment in Internet voting taking place this week involving
troops overseas who vote in -- yes -- Florida. According to Polli Brunelli
from FVAP, the agency administering the test [http://www.fvap.ncr.gov/],
speaking at our eVoting workshop here last month [see
http://www.netvoting.org/], the number of troops would be very small -- no
more than a few thousand -- who otherwise might not have been able to get
their ballots back to Florida by the deadline. But, but, but... Could this
be the first year the Internet decides a presidential contest????

Cheers
Adam