Politech mailing list archives

FC: FBI gun-check computer crashes; Flash movie parodies Metallica

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 11:51:37 -0400

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,36310,00.html

   Metallica Net Parody Flashy Fun
   by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

   3:00 a.m. May. 13, 2000 PDT
   WASHINGTON -- If you thought the spectacle of a heavy-metal band
   whining to Congress about the Internet was hilarious, just wait 'til
   you check out a short movie about it.

   The Flash spoof of Metallica's efforts to shut down file-sharing
   service Napster depicts singer James Hetfield as a hulking ape who
   grunts things like "T-shirts good!"

   The animated drummer Lars Ulrich praises his fans, saying: "You
   fucking made us rich. You fucking made us popular. I worship you.
   Unless you downloaded 'Until It Sleeps' from Napster ... then you're
   going to motherfucking jail. You're motherfucking meat."

   Bob Cesca, the creator of the movie and founder of Camp Chaos, said he
   already had a monkey-for-president character from a previous
   assignment, and was inspired by Metallica's lawsuit against Napster.

   "The two things came together. I had a character design already, I
   knew how to do the voice, and the issue was hot," Cesca said Friday.

   The popularity of the flick overloaded Camp Chaos' server, which was
   transferring about 3 MB a second, Cesca said. He hoped to have a
   mirror site online by Saturday.

   ---

   FBI offline: The FBI's computer used for background checks of gun
   purchasers has crashed.

   "On May 11 we experienced a loss in service to the Interstate
   Identification Index due to a database problem," an FBI spokesman
   said. "The only thing affected is the National Instant Check System
   and the Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System."

   Under a federal law that took effect in November 1998, anyone buying a
   rifle, shotgun, or handgun from a dealer has to go through a
   background check.

   Some 100,000 Americans were prevented from purchasing firearms because
   of the glitch, which started Thursday and which the FBI hopes to have
   fixed by Sunday. About 9 million checks took place during the first
   year of NICS's operation.

   Investigators at the U.S. General Accounting Office report NICS was
   offline for 215 hours from November 1998 to November 1999.

   [...]

********