Politech mailing list archives

FC: Is the "Date Rape" web site illegal?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:38:02 -0500

A few links... A Canadian mirror of the embattled "date rape" web site:
  http://sigma.hurontario.net/~daterape/

An article in which EFF attorney Deborah Pierce says the site may be illegal -- "it didn't seem to me like it was meant to be funny" -- since there was no this-is-a-joke disclaimer:

Pierce cites a 1999 Nuremberg Files abortion-threat 9th Circuit case as something that backs up her claim:
  http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=Nuremberg

But to the best of my knowledge, there was only a district court decision that the defendant did not appeal -- it was not a 9th circuit case, and sets no precedent. And in any case, the Nuremberg files issue is logically and analytically distinct from the date rape site. First, there was a specific federal statute, the 1994 Clinic Entrances Act, that was used during the ligitation. Second, the Nuremberg files site listed names of doctors who perform abortions, their addresses, license plate numbers, and children's names -- the date rape site lists no names or personal info. Third, even if the same logic does apply, it won't be the first time that a court erred in favor of unduly restricting free speech:
  http://www.xs4all.nl/~kspaink/nuremberg/index.html
  http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=daterape

This spat reminds me a lot of this dispute that arose at Cornell five years ago, adjudicated by one preternaturally PC university administrator, Marjorie Hodges:
  http://joc.mit.edu/cornell.html

What really makes me wonder, though, is why it's apparently just self-proclaimed feminist activists who are upset about a site (even if it is a parody) that advocates "date rape?" Can't men be raped too, or robbed, or otherwise taken advantage of if they're drugged? *sigh*

-Declan