Politech mailing list archives

FC: I-Gear blocking software blacklist cracked and available online

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 16:12:10 -0500

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:05:04 -0600
From: bennett () peacefire org
Subject: I-Gear list cracked; privacy violations and error rate

One week after our report on the decryption of X-Stop's blocked site list,
Peacefire has released a program that can decrypt the list of 437,000 sites
blocked by I-Gear, another "censorware" program now owned by Symantec.  The
codebreaker program can be downloaded from:
        http://peacefire.org/censorware/I-Gear/igdecode/
(This page also has instructions on how to obtain I-Gear's encrypted list
without having to download and install I-Gear.)

We performed an experiment similar to our X-Stop test: we extracted student
pages in the ".edu" domain that were blocked in the "Sex/Acts" category,
looked at the first 50 URL's that were still working, and found that 76% of
the blocked pages were obviously errors!  This sounds ridiculously high,
but I saw the blocked pages myself, otherwise I wouldn't believe it.  The
list of 50 examined sites is at:
        http://peacefire.org/censorware/I-Gear/igear-blocked-edu.html

We also discovered that when you install I-Gear, it scans in your real name
and company name from your computer and uploads this information to
Symantec.  Not the "real name" that you give the program during the
registration process -- your actual real name that you used to register
your copy of Windows.  (This is the name that shows up on the "General" tab
of the System applet in Control Panel.)  Symantec's privacy policy, on the
other hand, states:

http://www.symantec.com/legal/privacy.html
        "The choice of how much personally identifiable information
        you disclose to Symantec is completely at your discretion."

Again, we believe these discoveries will bear on the ongoing debate over
the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, UCITA (the law strengthening the
force of draconian "license agreements" that prohibit users from examining
products by reverse engineering) and the DVD codebreaking court cases.
Reverse engineering I-Gear and decrypting the list was the *only* way to
obtain a reliable figure for the error rate of their product, rather than
just coming up with a list of blocked sites.  Even the discovery that
I-Gear retrieves and uploads your real name to the manufacturer, was
discovered through reverse engineering.  If such reverse engineering
becomes illegal, it will become very difficult for third parties to
criticize software in general, other than the user interface and other
aspects that are visible without "looking under the hood".

        -Bennett

bennett () peacefire org     http://www.peacefire.org
(425) 649 9024