Politech mailing list archives

FC: Other views on U.N. report and guaranteeing Net access by 2005

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:03:14 -0400

[I am doing a CNN.com chat on Microsoft antitrust that is beginning right now, 1 pm ET. Log in at http://www.cnn.com/chat/auditorium.html --Declan]

************

From: "Steve Barnes" <sbarnes () nortelnetworks com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: RE: U.N. report says governments should guarantee Net access by 2 005
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:47:26 -0400

>   UNITED NATIONS (AP) -- By 2005, everyone in the world should have access
>to the Internet even if they have to walk for half a day to the nearest
>computer or cell phone, experts said in a report to the United Nations.

The Maitland Commission report said the same thing about simple telephony in the early 1980's. It still has not happened in Africa. In fact, some areas of Africa have regressed since that time (i.e. Congo). Don't hold your breath, this one will not happen until the politicians stop the wars that hold back economic development.

Stephen D. Barnes
Nortel Networks
sbarnes () nortelnetworks com

Views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, except where
they are specifically stated to be the views of my employer or another
person or entity.

*********