Politech mailing list archives

FC: U.N. report says governments should guarantee Net access by 2005

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:20:00 -0400

*********
Below article is at:
http://www.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/merc/docs/071816.htm
See background from July 1999, "UN wants to tax the Net":
http://www.politechbot.com/p-00492.html
And "UN retreats from email tax":
http://www.politechbot.com/p-00502.html

Call me heartless, but as much as I'd like to see everyone in the world hooked up to the Net (which will of course eventually happen, at least for 97%+ of us), I'm not sure that additional taxation or even partial government funding is the way to do it. Technologies take a while to trickle down from the rich to the poor -- who had refrigerators, indoor plumbing, televisions first? The process is a natural, organic one; it takes time, and in the end it's the most efficient way. I don't see much recognition of this in these U.N. pronouncements (though I haven't been able to find the actual text of this particular report online). If anything, the Net seems to be spreading much faster than its related predecessors, which is a cause for not alarm but celebration. --Declan
*********