Politech mailing list archives

FC: Al Gore talks up financial privacy -- but does he believe it?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:15:24 -0400

[Al Gore may honestly believe he's doing the right thing, but let's remember that this is the vice president who (reluctantly, a then-aide recently told me) championed the Clipper chip:
http://www.time.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,14267,00.html

If Gore, or for that matter any other top administration official, truly wanted to protect financial privacy, they would speak out against regulations that require banks to spy on customers. But the FBI, Treasury Department, and DoJ last year scuttled a bill on the House floor that would have in part repealed those rules. They said it would derail the War on (Some) Drugs:

To be fair, it isn't truly a partisan issue -- privacy cuts across party lines -- and a number of law-and-order Republicans (hello, Bill McCollum!) agree with the administration here. --Declan]

*********