Politech mailing list archives

FC: Courtney Love, the RIAA, and how to lie with statistics

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:56:20 -0400

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:15:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Lenny Foner <foner () media mit edu>
To: declan () well com
Subject: The RIAA and how to lie with statistics
CC: foner () media mit edu

I'd like to call your attention to the RIAA-funded "study" below that
claims to make the case that Napster is killing local CD sales---without
anywhere pointing out that if it claims the declines started in 1997,
it was -long- before Napster could have been a plausible explanation.
In other words, it's trying to say that effects precede causes.

Instead, if we accept the data as given (namely that CD stores nearest
the "most-wired" colleges experienced the declines first and most
strongly, and that it started in 1997), wouldn't it seem more
reasonable to conclude that students there were the most likely to
BUY CD'S ONLINE and therefore not show up at the local stores at all?

Surely the RIAA, better than almost anyone else, could have found the
data and correlated these two events.  And surely the WSJ could have
done the same.  Instead, the WSJ seem to have swallowed the RIAA's
argument hook, line, and sinker.

If someone has some historical data for online CD sales and can
compare that curve with the one cited in the study below (which I'd
read if I could find a pointer to it---the WSJ is mum about where one
might actually find the original sources), it would be very interesting.

And, if the correlation holds up, it would probably be a good idea to
make sure that the press widely broadcasts this little bit of the RIAA
attempting to mislead Congress and the courts when it knew better---
yet again.

- - - Begin - - -

[Do a search on www.wjs.com for "Napster" and you'll find this;
 of course, you'll have to be a paying subscriber to do so.]

June 13, 2000
Music CD Sales Suffer in Stores Near 'Wired' Colleges, Study Says
By MARTIN PEERS and LEE GOMES
Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Music CD sales in stores near colleges with fast Internet connections
have bucked national trends and fallen since 1997, according to a
music-industry study meant to support the claim that the Napster
Internet service is hurting music sales.

The research was done in connection with a brief filed Monday by the
Recording Industry Association of America over the lawsuit it has
filed against Napster Inc., San Mateo, Calif., alleging copyright
infringement. Napster distributes free software that makes it easy to
find and download MP3 music files, nearly all of which are pirated
versions of copyright songs. Napster says it respects copyright laws.

The study was conducted by SoundScan, a company that tracks retail
record stores. It found that overall CD sales to the general public
have risen by 18% between the first quarters of 1997 and 2000, and
that sales at all stores within a mile of any college held steady
during the period.

But according to the study, sales at stores within a mile of the
colleges rated as the "Top 40 Wired Colleges" by an Internet
publication declined 13% during the period. Another part of the
SoundScan study looked at record stores near colleges that banned
Napster because it was overloading their networks, and found similar
results.

[snip --Declan]