Politech mailing list archives

FC: Slate privacy roundtable (#2) -- Privacy, technology, free speech

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:30:08 -0400

[Here are some excerpts. Check out the URL for the full exchange. --Declan]

http://slate.msn.com/code/BookClub/BookClub.asp?Show=6/7/00&idMessage=5461&idBio=174

   From: Eugene Volokh
   To: Declan McCullagh and Jeffrey Rosen
   Subject: Privacy vs. Free Speech

   Dear Jeff and Declan:

   I much enjoyed both of your posts, and I must say you both paint
   tempting pictures. Jeff, the way you describe it, it might seem to
   some (though your book is often far more cautious than this) that much
   privacy-destroying investigation is actually useless to the
   investigators themselves. Had Starr not probed so deeply into
   Lewinsky's life, he wouldn't have been misled by his "confus[ing
   information] with knowledge." Tearing away our masks isn't just cruel
   but also doesn't really show anyone our "true sel[ves]." So we can
   have privacy and better decisionmaking, too--such a deal!

   But I'm not sure I can be so sanguine. Life is a long string of
   decisions based on necessarily imperfect information. Do we trust
   someone in business? Should we send our child to a particular
   preschool? Is this witness telling the truth? Should we support this
   candidate or this judicial nominee?

   Virtually none of these decisions can ever be based on a full
   understanding of people "in all of their complicated dimensions." Some
   of the decisions will be rich in some kinds of context, but of course
   all will always omit something. We don't fully know ourselves, much
   less anyone else!

[...]