Politech mailing list archives

FC: Salon email on privacy and society (#1); DVD depositions closed

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:59:04 -0400

I just got back from NYC and the DVD hearing. Briefly Judge Kaplan in part denied and in part granted our motion to intervene; I'll have an article up on wired.com in the morning. Kaplan then split the difference by denying the press access to depositions but ordering the (possibly redacted) transcripts and videotapes be released promptly. John Young and I did Emmanuel Goldstein's Off the Hook radio show afterward, then I jumped on a train.

Also, Eugene Volokh and I are grilling The New Republic's Jeff Rosen in a Salon debate over privacy that will last all week. Jeff has a new book out called "The Unwanted Gaze: The Destruction of Privacy in America." We're emailing each other in rotation. Here's an excerpt -- you can find the complete exchange at Salon's site.

-Declan

http://slate.msn.com/code/BookClub/BookClub.asp?Show=6/6/00&idMessage=5450&idBio=174