Politech mailing list archives

FC: Feds' hands caught in cookie jar, violating White House order

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 10:02:41 -0400

********
Some samples from the output of my "cookiebot" program:
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cookies.dod.0600.html
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cookies.house.0600.html
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cookies.sample.0600.html
********

   Feds' Hands Caught in Cookie Jar
   by Declan McCullagh (declan () well com)

   3:00 a.m. Jun. 30, 2000 PDT
   WASHINGTON -- Federal agencies are ignoring stern White House
   instructions not to use cookies on government websites.

   Dozens of U.S. government sites, including ones operated by the
   Justice Department, the Defense Department, and the Energy Department
   continue sending cookies to the computers of unsuspecting visitors.

   An investigation by Wired News shows that these agencies and many
   others appear to be violating a Clinton administration directive that
   halted the controversial practice last week. Cookies track what people
   do online, and government use of them may also run afoul of a 1974
   privacy law.

   "'Cookies' should not be used at federal websites, or by contractors
   when operating websites on behalf of agencies," Jacob Lew, director of
   the White House's Office of Management and Budget (OMB), wrote in a
   memo to agencies last Thursday. Lew's memo came after news reports
   revealed the White House's drug policy office used cookies to
   surreptitiously track behavior.

   But the agencies aren't paying attention. In the Defense Department,
   at least 13 websites continue to use cookies, including the U.S.
   European Command, the Air Force Space Command, a Pentagon records
   agency, and the Army's training command.

   So do Federal Reserve banks, the U.S. Mint, the Federal Deposit
   Insurance Corporation, and the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

   Wired News conducted its investigation by writing a Perl program to
   connect to the website of every agency and commission listed in the
   U.S. Government Manual, an official government publication. After
   connecting, the program recorded whether or not each website used
   cookies, and if the cookies were temporary or permanent.

   "We sent this memo out because we clearly wanted to send a message to
   agencies that we mean business," said Linda Ricci, a spokeswoman for
   OMB. "We expect agencies to clean things up. But in an organization as
   large as the government, I'm not sure that that can be accomplished in
   the span of eight or nine days."

   "We're taking it seriously," she said. "We don't think there's any
   ambiguity about that."

   In its letter, OMB said that agencies could continue to use cookies in
   some precisely defined circumstances: When there is "a compelling
   need," when the public is informed of the practice, and after the
   agency head personally approved the tracking.

   Of 18 agencies contacted on Thursday by Wired News, not one was able
   to say whether or not the proper person had OK'd the use of cookies.

   The National Endowment for the Humanities, which said they disclose
   that information is gathered "for statistical purposes," came closest
   to meeting the cookie use requirements. Meredith Hindley, assistant
   webmaster, said that she expects approval: "We will get that from (the
   agency head). He is on vacation right now."

   "Ive seen the memo from the OMB, and were all familiar with that,"
   said Susan Hanson, a Defense Department public relations officer. "We
   will be getting back in touch with them to see if our guidelines are
   acceptable with their guidelines. But we want to make clear from the
   get-go that were not collecting any personalized information, but just
   for purposes of making our website better."

   Most government sites that set cookies do not inform visitors of the
   practice -- which OMB says is necessary. The Army Review Boards
   Agency, which has cookies that expire in December 2010, does not even
   include a privacy policy, a practice required by a June 1999 OMB
   memorandum.

   Permanent cookies reside in a file on your hard drive and allow
   websites to monitor your behavior over time. Temporary cookies are
   ephemeral: They're discarded when you close a browser window or
   reboot. OMB does not differentiate between temporary and permanent
   cookies.

   The General Services Administration seems to be unusually upfront
   about telling visitors that cookies are in use. The GSA home page, its
   Federal Consumer Information Center, and the GSA Federal Supply
   Service all have policies that say "we may use a cookie" or similar
   language.

   The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, on the other hand, says "we
   generally do not use cookies" -- even though anyone who stops by the
   FERC home page will receive one that will stay active until December
   2010.

   Four websites at the National Institutes of Health use cookies: The
   Center for Information Technology, the National Eye Institute, the
   Institute of General Medical Sciences, and the National Institute of
   Mental Health.

   Not one of the four sites mentioned this was taking place, and just
   two had privacy policies. Instead of a privacy policy, NIMH simply
   said: "By accessing this computer system you are consenting to system
   monitoring by law enforcement and other purposes."

   It appears that many sites using cookies may do so inadvertently: Some
   Microsoft server products, for example, turn on the technology by
   default.

   But OMB's Ricci again stressed that agencies needed to justify the
   cookie use.

   "(The directive) is essentially saying that except in certain
   compelling cases, this should not be happening," Ricci said. "They
   would have to present a compelling case not only to us, but to the
   head of their agency why they would need to continue this."

   "The force of this memo is very much linked to another OMB function:
   Approval of budget requests," she said. "We will hold compliance with
   this memo as a test when funding requests take place."

   Although OMB did not draw a distinction between temporary and
   permanent cookies, privacy advocates say they're not too worried about
   the former. However, about one-third of the government sites that sent
   cookies used permanent ones.

   "I don't think there's anything wrong from a privacy viewpoint with
   session cookies," says Marc Rotenberg, director of the Electronic
   Privacy Information Center. "The privacy concern of ours is when
   tracking takes place between discrete Web activities."

   Last week, Rotenberg sent a letter to Congress asking for an
   investigation of the "tracking practices" of federal agencies.

   He said tracking might violate the Privacy Act of 1974, which
   regulates agency collections of "identifying number, symbol, or other
   identifying particulars assigned" to an individual. That definition
   could cover cookies.

   A free-market group was more critical.

   "It's typical. Governments think the rules don't apply to them," said
   Erick Gustafson, director of technology policy at Citizens for a Sound
   Economy. "They're historically the worst offenders of privacy and the
   rights of citizens."

   "At the end of the day, consumers have to look out for themselves. you
   can't trust the government any more than you can throw it," Gustafson
   said.

   A Department of Energy spokesman who asked not to be identified said
   that he was familiar with the OMB memo and stressed that the DOE
   homepage did not use cookies.

   The spokesman said he would investigate the four DOE sites that do,
   including the Office of the Deputy Administrator for Defense Programs
   and the DOE science office.

   Nicholas Morehead contributed to this report.