Politech mailing list archives

FC: RSA 2000 day 1 conference report from "Ralph"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:09:51 -0500

*********

[Unfortunately I was not able to make it to RSA this year. (Next time!) But here's a report from a politechnical who's on the scene. I'd be happy to forward other buzz or writeups too. --Declan]

*********

Declan,
please keep me anon., use only first name.

Usual platitudes by keynoters about how the new xpto export rules are good,
they will allow export of larger keys than 64 bits, even 128 bits  or more?
The rules don't seem clear about what kind of algorithms are allowed at what
key sizes, they have a vague notification rule. Then Shamir shows us later
how to make a TWINKLE, and crack 384 bit RSA keys with about a $5000
investment.  And Adleman questions the soundness of the Elliptic Curve
Cryptosystem (ECC), as the hyperelliptic algorithm was cracked in sub
exponential time.

It was evident that the keynoters figured out that they had to pay off
politicians, as they mentioned explaining things several times, but the
implication was that until they formed lobby groups, they had no clout.  Big
surprise there.

Many government agencies, Social Security, military, FBI, (no booths for the
previous) and the NSA, who had three very nice women in their booth, more
than happy to give RSA 99 proceedings and NSA buttons away.

The geek factor is down, as some noted that there were actually attractive
women present; fortunately for them, none were in earshot to gut the
offenders.  I would say the event is mainstreaming ... I think the geek
event will be Financial Cryptography '00 in Anguilla in February.

L8r,
Ralph