Politech mailing list archives

FC: Letter to FTC from Congress asks about Net regulations

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:32:48 -0500

From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamond () mail house gov>
Subject: Congressional letter on Internet Regulation
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:43:04 -0500

Today, 21 Members of Congress sent the letter below to the Chairman of the
FTC to discover whether he intends to continue last year's excellent policy
of not proposing new regulations for the Internet.

Richard Diamond, Office of Rep. Armey, 202-225-7772
www.freedom.gov

The Honorable Robert Pitofsky
Chairman, Federal Trade Commission
Pennsylvania Avenue at Sixth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20580

Dear Chairman Pitofsky:

        On June 25th, 1999, 26 Members of Congress wrote to you concerned
about potential government regulation of e-commerce.  While a growing part
of our lives, e-commerce is still in its infancy and should be handled with
a light touch.

        In your response on July 2, you were quite explicit that "except for
law enforcement actions challenging fraud and deception in advertising" and
to carry out the requirements of the Children's Online Privacy Protection
Act, the FTC does not have any plans to regulate the Internet.  You further
stated that "The FTC has consistently taken the position that
self-regulation is the least intrusive and most efficient means to ensure
fair information practices online."

        We are now in the 21st century and the FTC has a choice to make: to
regulate the Internet, or not to regulate the Internet.  For the record,
does the FTC intend to propose new regulations on the Internet in the year
2000?  You had a good answer in 1999; does it still hold in 2000?

        We look forward to your response.

                                        Sincerely:
Dick Armey
Tom DeLay