Politech mailing list archives

FC: Out to 2/28; Freeh warns of encryption; ISPs turn sleuths

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:07:18 -0500

I will be in San Diego this weekend to speak at a convention and in Anguilla next week for the financial cryptography conference. I probably won't be checking email very frequently during that time.

Also, if Canadian politechnials are especially alert today (Thursday), I'll be on Canada AM live at 6:45 am.

Something I wrote Monday about the way network providers turned sleuths last week:

John Young was kind enough to put the list of participants in Tuesday's White House summit online:
  http://cryptome.org/wh-cybersec.htm

And when he and Janet Reno showed up in a Senate hearing Wednesday, Louis Freeh used the DoS attacks as way to warn of encryption's dangers and say police need access to plaintext:

-Declan