Politech mailing list archives

FC: Disabled special interest groups ask for Web regulations

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:21:19 -0500

What this proposal appears to mean in practice is that -- assuming it becomes law -- folks with US web sites will have to redesign them to comply with "accessibility" standards. Some sites -- simple ones that lack graphics, sound, or frames -- will probably have to do nothing.

Others may have to do a lot of work, like using alt tags for text descriptions of images and figuring out a way to deal with (transcribe?) multimedia files. As someone who maintains a number of web sites myself, I'd have to do a substantial amount of work to make sure I don't run afoul of the law. Or I'd move my sites offshore.

I didn't find a no-registration URL to this Newsbytes story, though a link to it is at: http://www.newsbytes.com/search97cgi/vtopic?ACTION=SEARCH&ServerKey=Primary&ResultTemplate=nb99-qpass-results.hts&QueryMode=Simple&QueryText=handicapped&collection=CollNB00

-Declan