Politech mailing list archives

FC: British Telecom says idea "distorted," wants other suggestions

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 10:48:40 -0500

Is BT justifiably annoyed or simply backpedaling from a proposal accidentally sent to a public list? You decide:
  http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc00/msg00090.html

From: john.c.lewis () bt com
To: declan () well com
Cc: clinton () annoy com, politech () vorlon mit edu
Subject: RE: British Telecom wants ICANN to regulate sex-themed web sites
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:47:26 -0000

Thank you for your interest in some comments which were addressed to members
of one constituency in the DNSO, in preparation for the next round of
discussions on gTLDs. Your first paragraph does not reflect the message from
my original message, that the issue of trust is of paramount importance in
the creation of new gTLDs, and your response unfortunately distorts what I
actually posted, relating to domains supplying childrens' books,
(childrens') entertainment and similar (childrens') resources, where the
emphasis is on protecting vulnerable members of the community.

This is clearly a matter of some sensitivity which requires a sensible and
responsible resolution to maintain consumer confidence in the Internet.
Whereas there may be legislation in the US, it only applies to one country
whereas the concern over this issue extends well beyond its jurisdiction.

Perhaps you would like to suggest a constructive solution, over how this
could be resolved given that we are dealing with a global entity which is
not subject to any trans-national governmental controls, but whose future
will rely on the trust and credibility that consumers have in the Internet
and the content accessed via the Domain Name structure.

Who is the body responsible for Domain Naming structures ?

What are the consequences of failing to demonstrate responsible
self-regulation ?

Regards

John C Lewis

[...]