Politech mailing list archives

FC: Heritage publishes papers on Net tax, digital divide

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 12:17:01 -0500

From: "Thierer, Adam" <adam.thierer () heritage org>
Subject: new Heritage telecom / Internet studies
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:58:56 -0500

        Just thought you'd want to know that The Heritage Foundation has
just released two new papers on issues you might find of interest:

(1) INTERNET TAXATION: A copy of our new Backgrounder entitled, "The NGA's
Misguided Plan to Tax the Internet and Create a New National Sales Tax," can
be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.heritage.org/library/backgrounder/bg1343.html

[Note: Heritage also recently participated in a STATE TAX NOTES in-print
debate with the National Governors' Association regarding the merits of an
origin-based system of sales tax collection versus the NGA's proposed
system. If you are interested in a copy of this 12-page debate, feel free to
contact me via e-mail or phone (202-608-6214) and I will send you one.]

(2) DIGITAL DIVIDE: Heritage has also recently released a short Executive
Memorandum entitled, "Digital Divide or Digital Deluge of Opportunity,"
which addresses some of the myths surrounding the current debate over the
so-called "digital divide." A copy of the paper can be found at:

http://www.heritage.org/library/execmemo/em646.html

        Please feel free to forward this notice to anyone else you think
might find it of interest. And if you would like to receive hard copies of
any of these documents, just contact me. Thank you.

Adam D. Thierer
Walker Fellow in Economic Policy
The Heritage Foundation
214 Massachusetts Ave., NE