Politech mailing list archives

FC: Other views of the White House press corps and dot com reporters

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 11:15:09 -0400

********

Brock's article:
  http://www.msnbc.com/news/397199.asp

********

From: "Alberto M. Giordano" <narconews () hotmail com>
To: declan () wired com
Subject: re your story on White House press corps
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 08:32:00 CDT

Señor Declan,

I just read your story on the White House press corps and the dispute among cyber-journalists over seats on the plane.

I remember from my years as a political reporter for the Boston Phoenix and other papers when the press secretaries shuffled me and other colleagues around like sheep for carefully controlled press coverage of politicians and officials. Now I scratch my head when I see that internet journalists are upset at being excluded from what is essentially the right to be more carefully controlled.

A case in point: In February of 1999 I covered the Clinton-Zedillo ^Óanti-drug^Ô summit in Mérida on Mexico^Òs Yucatán peninsula (I have lived in Latin America since 1997). I covered that event, said hi to some of my old pals, made brief inspections of the official news sites, but went about my work apart from the pack. That ^Óoutsidership^Ô made all the difference in the world and allowed me to break an interesting story in the Boston Phoenix that went unreported by the White House press corps ­ the President of the United States held his anti-drug summit on the property of a powerful white-collar drug trafficker:

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/archive/features/99/05/13/NARCO.html

That story was later expanded upon quite well by Village Voice ^ÓPress Clips^Ô columnist Cynthia Cotts, who reported that the NY Times Mexico bureau chief had intentionally covered-up the story:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0008/cotts.shtml

A positive consequence: Latin American journalists and many sources responded so well to the publication of this story that they have opened many information spigots to this gringo. It was precisely the fact that I went it alone ­ and not shepherded on Air Force One with the pack ­ that has now made possible, 14 months later, the publication of a new internet newspaper, The Narco News Bulletin:

http://www.narconews.com

So this is to say that it^Òs not such a bad thing to be outside of the official White House press stable. Nor is it so great to be ^Óincluded^Ô in that group, as I reported in my Boston Phoenix story on how their every movement was controlled by the White House, thus keeping them from the big story. If we value our independence ­ one hopes that this spirit still exists among many internet journalists ­ we ought to forget about being invited to the party and relearn the thrill of crashing it.

Hope you like The Narco News Bulletin. If you do, please spread the word.

Sincerely,

Al Giordano
Publisher
narconews () hotmail com