Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on FCC's Farber tells ISPs not to do discount tracking plan

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 17:13:03 -0400

*********

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:45:53 -0400
To: declan () well com, politech () vorlon mit edu
From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: FC: FCC's Farber warns of regulation if ISPs do discount tracking plan
Cc: info () predictivenetworks com, lauren () vortex com, farber () cis upenn edu

Declan, for the record, if you read the statement I made carefully or even casually I never said the FCC will regulate anything in this space (unless the congress demands it). What I did say is continued steps down such paths will end up with Governments imposing regulation and with the citizens demanding it. The stream that goes from the subscriber of an ISP has a lot more in it than web traffic. There may indeed be voice (IP Telephony) email etc. What assurance do we have that opt in works in this or any case. If a single ISP controls my access to the net via my cable , for example, the comment of "just say no and find another isp" may be very very difficult.

For the record, I am not accusing Predictivenetworks of any miss-behavior. I do caution that as the industry starts down this slippery path they understand that there are limits and that reaching those limits may not be at all heathy for our industry.

Dave (as a private citizen which by the way is what I speak as in all my IP mailings)

*********

My response:

Dave correctly points out that he warned not of FCC but "government regulation." (http://www.politechbot.com/p-01099.html)

My intent was to say that the FCC would be the agency responsible for carrying out such regulation if the Feds decided to do it. Whether the FCC has the statutory authority to enact such rules without action by Congress is a question for another day. :)

-Declan

*********