Politech mailing list archives

FC: Clinton trip this week first to include "dot com" journalists

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:29:32 -0400

   Web Scribes Slam Clinton Tour
   by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

   10:10 a.m. Apr. 20, 2000 PDT
   WASHINGTON -- The online news media, clamoring for respect since
   reporters exchanged hot type for hot links, can thank President
   Clinton for boosting its status in the journalism world.

   For the first time, correspondents from a dozen websites joined the
   elite White House press corps during the president's "digital divide"
   cross-country tour this week.

   Three dot com reporters took turns traveling in the small "travel
   pool" compartment at the back of the Air Force One 747, and the rest
   crowded onto the White House press charter.

   However, the trip was far from an unqualified success for some
   participants who cited limited access to Clinton and poor advance
   planning as their chief complaints.

   "At each step of the way, it felt like we were an after-thought," said
   Brock Meeks of MSNBC.com. "It felt like we were invited to the party,
   but nobody asked us to dance. Although we were a part of it, we
   weren't a part of it.

   [...]