Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on enonymous' privacy ratings, and a rant on infomediaries

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:23:33 -0400

**********

From: "Thomas Leavitt" <thomasleavitt () hotmail com>
To: declan () well com
Cc: shari () clickrebates com, chris () clickrebates com
Subject: Re: FC: Enonymous.com's privacy ratings include errors, oversights
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:04:13 PDT

DeClan,

I'm not surprised.

Their privacy rating for my company's site (ClickDough.Com) was/is factually incorrect.

http://client.enonymous.com/client/snapshot.asp?host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.clickdough.com&submit=submit

Says "Share without permission."

Quote from our privacy policy (stars inserted for emphasis):

We are a permission-based marketing company; this means that *you are in control* of how much information you share, how it is used and who sees it.

[...]

Demographic and profile data may also be collected at our site. We use this data to tailor your experience at our site, show you content that you are interested in, and display the content according to your preferences. This information is shared with advertisers on an *aggregate* basis, this means that we will *not disclose* your name, email address or *any* other personally identifiable information to anyone **without your consent**.

Emphatically, we do not share user information without explicit consent. We are a "trusted infomediary", handing out our user information willy nilly would obviously not work.

Obviously, *someone* must have read/visited our site, because they have a link to our privacy policy, but they obviously don't bother to actually read the privacy policies they rate.

Thomas