Politech mailing list archives

FC: EU officials want global tax agreeement and could block some sites

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:26:07 -0400

**********

From: "Richard Storey" <richards () excelinternet com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Euro Tax
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:34:27 -0400

Declan:

There is an interesting article in Wired, today, about the EU and internet
taxes.  There are some statements by officials that are rather remarkable,
IMO, and I've been wondering how long it would be before either the EU or US
gov. decided to try blocking or closing web sites to enforce their
over-reaching views of state.  After extra-jurisdictional attempts at
enforcement of nation-based law, re: S.E.C. and Dept. of Treasury, this is
the next step at putting up a fence around freedom-of-activity on the net.
My question is: how or could they carry it out?

Richard S.
------------------
Net Tax Key to EU Directive
by Ayla Jean Yackley
3:00 a.m. Apr. 10, 2000 PDT
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,35405,00.html
[block excerpt]
"This will leave out places like the Cook Islands, sure," he said. "But that
will exist anyway. Marginal stuff will be lost, because we don't live in a
global police state. That's the price you pay for a modicum of democracy."

For its part, the EU is considering means of enforcement for online tax
dodgers. Although enforcement is not part of the Directive on Electronic
Commerce in its present form, Kerrigan said options for penalizing
non-compliant companies include closing down websites or blocking them from
doing business in Europe.