Politech mailing list archives

FC: USA Today on wiretap perils and Justice Dept response

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:51:05 -0400

[Those links no longer work]

Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:07:28 -0400
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
From: rotenberg () epic org
Subject: USA Today on Wiretaps & DOJ Response

http://www.usatoday.com/news/comment/nceditf.htm

09/02/99- Updated 08:04 AM ET

Increased digital monitoring opens door to wide abuse

When the Federal Communications Commission expanded the ability
of police to monitor telephone communications last week, civil
libertarians and privacy advocates howled.

Law enforcement is to get the capacity, with court orders, to
monitor conference calls, listen to people who are put on hold
and track people to their cell tower locations, among other
things.

Police agencies say they need such abilities to keep tabs on
criminals using modern communications. But the latest news is
only the latest piece of a deeper and troubling trend.

[...]

In none of this is much thought given to people's legitimate
right and need for privacy.

Indeed, the efforts are deterring telephone companies,
communications equipment makers and software companies from
providing the best security possible.

The result: Hackers now using ordinary computers can break
supposedly impregnable codes for cell phones because of
weaknesses put there under law enforcement pressure.

[...]

If a crisis is brewing, it isn't that criminals and terrorists
will escape. It is that the government's ageless eagerness to
pry will supersede the public's right to be free of that prying.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/comment/ncoppf.htm

Criminals have gone high-tech

By James K. Robinson

The Clinton administration fully supports the use of encryption
and other new technologies to provide privacy and security to
law-abiding citizens in the digital age. Just as our citizens
already use the Internet, cellular phone systems and other
communications technologies to improve their lives, soon the
vast majority of people will also use encryption on a daily
basis. However, criminals are increasingly using encryption and
other technologies to shield their illegal activities from their
victims and the police. The fundamental and undeniable concern
of law enforcement is that we maintain the ability -- consistent
with the Constitution and important privacy protections -- to
respond to those criminals who encrypt evidence of criminal
activity to elude law enforcement. In short, we support privacy,
security and a safe electronic environment.

During the normal course of investigations, law enforcement
agencies must obtain the evidence needed to prosecute criminals.
At the same time, we have laws that govern how these agencies
can obtain that evidence -- strict laws that balance the
agencies' need to protect public safety with the privacy rights
of individuals -- and we follow those laws. For example, if we
have probable cause to believe that someone is creating and
distributing child pornography, we can search the premises where
the pornography is stored for evidence, with a search warrant
issued by a court.

Technology has changed law enforcement agencies' ability to do
their jobs. A child pornographer can use modern technologies to
communicate with other criminals and to store pictures and other
information on a computer. More important, these criminals can
use encryption to scramble their communications and pictures so
that law enforcement agencies, even with a court-authorized
warrant, cannot decode the information or read the documents.
Thus, the legally obtained evidence is useless. If, as a result,
a law enforcement agency cannot prove its case, then the child
pornographers will go free. And, of course, the same situation
applies with respect to those drug cartels and terrorists who
are also using encryption.

We, emphatically, do not want to outlaw encryption or to access
the private, personal information of the law-abiding public. The
real question is: What do we do when criminals use good
technology for bad purposes?

Law enforcement agencies must be authorized to adapt to our
technological world. We can only protect the public if we can
appropriately investigate and prosecute criminals. If a judge
has determined that law enforcement is authorized to obtain
evidence from or about a suspected criminal, then that suspect
should not be permitted to hide the evidence, remain free and
continue to prey on the public. Law enforcement must have the
ability to act, in accordance with the Constitution and strict,
narrowly written laws that are designed to balance both public
safety and individual privacy, to locate and identify criminals
and to gather evidence. If their investigative tools are unable
to keep up with current technology, public safety will be at
great risk as we enter the next millennium. We look forward to
working with Congress and interested groups to develop an
effective strategy to achieve these objectives.

James K. Robinson is assistant attorney general, Criminal
Division, Department of Justice.