Politech mailing list archives

FC: Sen. Hatch wants to ban online speech endorsing crimes

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:15:33 -0400

Sen. Hatch is not an idiot, but when it comes to free speech, the bills he
proposes are relentlessly idiotic. Sure, he may intend to target hate crimes,
but depending on how his legislation is drafted -- if it applies to
intellectual property, for instance -- I can see one of these kids going to
jail:

JON1: "anyone got the new version of BORGSLAYER for windoze?"
WAREZD00D: "check out http://127.0.0.0 -- dl it quick before it goes down"
JON1: "thx"

Other felons would include one teenager suggesting to another in email that
they drive by Harry's house and smash his mailbox with a baseball bat. That
may
not be what Hatch intends, but you wouldn't know it from his speech below, and
the law of unintended consequences is not to be denied. Not only would such a
law be unconstitutional, but it would be pretty damn stupid too.

-Declan
PS: Why should this apply just to the Internet? Why not newsletters too?

*******