Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on Wine felons unite! replies to bills in Congress

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:30:59 -0400

********

From: "Halpert, James - DC" <JJH () pipermar com>
To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Wine felons unite! -- ordering online may be a crime
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:45:51 -0400

Declan,

These bills would not create a new crime, but give the state AGs the ability
to get injunctions to shut down out of state sellers operating in violation
of state criminal and civil laws (don't think they'll have jurisdiction over
Australian wineries, so have no fear about that).

Although pitched as measures to protect children from buying interstate
alcohol over the 'Net (how often does that happen?) and to protect
governments with temperance policies, their principal effect would be to
protect state-authorized liquor distributors from competition, keeping
prices inflated and reducing consumer choice.

This would set a very negative precedent for e-commerce internationally
(think of German Sunday closing laws and Saudi reactions to lingerie
imports).

Bob Goodlatte, John Conyers and Chris Cox added an amendment to the House
bill that requires courts to consider the Commerce Clause before issuing any
of these injunctions, which would be an improvement.

                                        -- Jim

********