Politech mailing list archives

FC: God's righteous man -- report from Jackson Hole

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 15:46:07 -0400

[Here's part of a somewhat snide column, my last report from Jackson Hole.
I am now back in DC. Other topics include Orrin Hatch's presidential bid
and Utah gov. Leavitt's apparent change of mind on net-taxes. --Declan]

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/22073.html

                     Harley D. Brown, demolitions
                     expert, Bombers motorcycle
                     club president, and long-haul truck driver,
                     will soon be president.

                     God has told him so. Brown drove from
                     Boise, Idaho to this weekend's Republican
                     convention determined to round up some
                     support for his fledgling candidacy.

                     But business leaders and GOP stalwarts
                     seemed more interested in avoiding him --
                     tactfully, of course, since Brown is a
                     hulking moose of a fellow with a long,
                     scraggly beard and a disposition to
                     match.

                     But that doesn't faze Brown, a tattooed
                     former Navy seabee company commander
                     who dismisses most Republicans as
                     wimps.

                     "I'm strong on abortion because I don't
                     like any babies getting killed. I have four
                     kids and one grandkid," he says.

                     Where would a Brown administration
                     stand on technology policy? The chief
                     executive would first have to figure out
                     how to use a computer.

                     "I don't like those sons of bitches," Brown
                     says. "They piss me off. It's the opposite
                     of my dog, which loves me no matter
                     what I do. I feel like taking a 20-pound
                     sledgehammer to that monitor."