Politech mailing list archives

FC: Mars Orbiter error statement; still in Wyoming

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:00:48 -0600

[I just got back from a backpacking trip into Grand Teton National Park
here in Wyoming. I hiked to the continental divide at about 10,000 feet and
pitched my tent in the rocks and snow at the foot of a glacier. Then I
shivered through the 5 degree F. night as the wind twisted through the
peaks. There are grizzlies and wolves in the park (and I presume that
Grizzly Bear Lake is named that for good reason), but I only heard howling
in the distance after midnight. I am here through the weekend covering a
Republican leadership convention -- aka junket so Congresscritters can go
golfing and sightseeing -- and will return email and voicemail when I get
back. --Declan]

Committee on Science
F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr., Chairman
Ralph M. Hall, Texas, Ranking Democrat
www.house.gov/science/welcome.htm
September 30, 1999

SENSENBRENNER STATEMENT ON MARS ORBITER ERROR

WASHINGTON, D.C. - NASA earlier today announced the preliminary findings
from the investigation into last week's loss of the $125 million Mars
Orbiter mission show human error between command stations. "The peer review
preliminary findings indicate that one team used English units (e.g.,
inches, feet and pounds) while the other used metric units for a key
spacecraft operation. This information was critical to the maneuvers
required to place the spacecraft in the proper Mars orbit," read NASA's
press release. House Science Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr.,
(R-WI) released the following statement:

"I'm speechless."