Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on Simon Wiesenthal Center & Ebay; Net driver license

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:13:43 -0500

***********

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:06:19 -0500 (EST)
From: Charles Platt <cp () sedona net>
To: politech () vorlon mit edu
cc: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: Simon Wiesenthal Center attacks Ebay

Ebay's comment about the problem of filtering merchandise categories is of
course absolutely correct. The ban on the sale of body parts and organs
seems to have been popular (for reasons I cannot understand); but what
about prosthetics? If a man with an artificial leg dies, can his estate
auction the limb? If a striptease artiste wants to sell her breast
implants, can she do so? (Note, there is an active market in second-hand
implants already, especially those containing silicone, predating the FDA
ban.) How about anatomical donations after death? Or newly manufactured
artificial skin? It's all very well to say, "We have to draw the line
somewhere." Where?